20 C
Lahore

Dukes owner pledges to investigate controversial ball change during Oval Test

Date:

Share:


The owner of Dukes has pledged to investigate the controversial ball change in Australia’s second innings during their 49-run defeat in the fifth men’s Ashes Test at The Oval, while casting doubt on a theory that a five-year-old replacement ball might have been used.

The ball was changed in the 37th over of Australia’s chase, after Usman Khawaja was hit on the helmet by a Mark Wood bouncer. Khawaja said after Australia’s defeat that he had immediately queried the choice of replacement ball – which looked visibly newer than the previous one – with umpire Kumar Dharmasena.

Ricky Ponting, the former Australia captain, labelled the choice of replacement ball “a huge blunder that needs to be investigated” while Zak Crawley, the England opener, described it as “a good break for us [which] probably made the difference”.

Dilip Jajodia, the owner of British Cricket Limited, the company which manufactures the Dukes ball, told CODE Sports: “I’m going to investigate myself, because it affects me … my name is at stake so it’s important they don’t misallege something wrong with the ball.”

CODE Sports reported that “whispers have emanated out of the English camp” since the conclusion of the Test suggesting that the ball might have been part of the 2018 or 2019 batches of Dukes, which offered more for seam bowlers, though Jajodia suggested that was unlikely.

“I can’t imagine they would risk putting a ball in there with a different date on it,” Jajodia said. “Frankly the match referee should be on top of it. We do bang that number in quite hard, so even if the gold comes off, the ball is imprinted. It wouldn’t be easy to get rid of it. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it’s not likely.”

Ponting was among those who questioned whether a sufficiently broad range of balls had been presented to the umpires to choose a replacement ball. But Jajodia explained that his company supplies balls directly to venues rather than to the ECB or the ICC.

“On this particular occasion, the balls would be done by Surrey,” he said. “Surrey get the supply of balls from us before the season starts and then they start knocking them in, getting them into wear and tear… in my view, they’re probably not doing it that accurately.”



Source link

Subscribe to our magazine

━ more like this

World Cup 2023: Which record can Shaheen Afridi break during mega event?

Pakistan's ace fast bowler Shaheen Afridi could break another record during the ICC Men's World Cup 2023, slated to kick start on October...

Tammy Beaumont, Harry Brook named PCA Players of the Year

Beaumont, winner of the women's award in 2016, collected the accolade for a second time after a stellar summer in which she broke...

Hitler’s birth house will become a police station to keep neo-Nazis away

Comment on this storyCommentAustria has started work to turn the yellow-brick house where Adolf Hitler was born into a police station, in a...

Overheard on NBA media day: New-look Bucks, LeBron’s understudy and … a green alien?

The 2023-24 NBA season is just weeks away, and as the players and coaches prepare for training camp, our NBA insiders are breaking...

Liverpool predicted lineup vs Union Saint-Gilloise – Europa League

Jurgen Klopp will not be wanting his Liverpool players to dismiss or forget the injustice that occurred at Tottenham on Saturday, but to...
spot_img